If your credit score is 640 or greater and one of the following apply to you, we recommend registering for Home Buyer Education:
- Ready to learn the entire home buying process
- Interested in down payment/closing cost assistance programs
- Steady income for the last two years
- Bankruptcy discharge/dismissed within the past two years
- Pre-approved by a lender
- In-contract on a home
You will learn:
- The steps in the home buying process
- How to apply for a mortgage loan
- How to understand your credit
- How to select a lender, realtor, home inspector, and insurance agent
- How to budget to buy a home
- What happens at closing
- What it takes to be a successful homeowner
- About a down payment and closing cost assistance programs
If you don't meet the recommended criteria for Home Buyer Education, we recommend registering for Money Management.
To receive a HUD-certified Certificate of Completion, participants must:
- Complete Workshop One
- Complete Budget and Credit Counseling
- Complete Workshop Two (Scheduled by Housing Counselor)
Home Buyer Education is a total of eight hours instruction (two four-hour sessions) and budget/credit counseling. Those who complete eight hours of instruction and participate in a one-on-one budget/credit counseling session will receive a HUD-certified Certificate of Completion, which often is required to apply for many down payment/closing cost assistance programs and/or grants. If you have any questions about the program, please call Stacie Burbage at 614-292-6279.
Registration closed. Please register for a future session.
This workshop will be held via Zoom.
Home Buyer Education workshops taught by or on behalf of OSU Extension are offered as an educational service only. We do not provide investment, legal or tax advice. The information provided is for general educational purposes only, and is not intended to substitute for the advice of your investment, legal and/or tax advisors or to be the basis of specific trading or investment activities. If you need investment, legal and/or tax advice, please consult with one of these professionals. The links to third-party resources are provided as a convenience for informational purposes only. Neither The Ohio State University or OSU Extension endorses or approves any of the products, services or opinions of the entities or individuals associated with these links. The Ohio State University and OSU Extension bear no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of any external site associated with the links provided or any subsequent links.