Do you want to learn how to start financially preparing to buy a home in the future, are you ready to buy a home today, or are you somewhere in between? The Home Buyer Education (HBE) Workshops have been restructured to help in every step of the home buying process, from beginning steps to building credit to being financially ready to apply for a mortgage loan. Starting in July, our HBE Workshops will be split into HBE 1 and HBE 2.
If your credit score is less than 580 and/or any of the following apply, we suggest that you register for HBE 1:
• Don't know your credit score
• Need a savings plan
• No funds saved for a down payment
• Less than two years of steady income
• Had a bankruptcy within the last two years
You will learn how to improve your credit so you are lender ready to buy a home. In addition to the workshop, you will receive one-on-one budget and credit counseling. Individuals who complete HBE 1 are eligible to receive a $20.00 discount if they register for HBE 2 within 12 months of completing HBE 1.
If your credit score is 580 or above and one or more of the following apply to you, then we recommend registering for HBE 2:
• Ready to learn the entire home buying process
• Interested in down payment/closing cost assistance programs
• Steady income for the last two years
• Bankruptcy discharge/dismissed within the past two years
• Pre-approved by a lender
• In-contract on a home
You will learn:
• The steps in the home buying process
• How to apply for a mortgage loan
• How to understand your credit
• How to select a lender, realtor, home inspector and insurance agent
• How to budget for a home
• What happens at closing
• What it takes to be a successful homeowner
• Where to locate down payment and closing cost assistance programs
The HBE 2 workshop is a total of eight hours, broken into two four-hour sessions. The $40 registration fee includes all necessary course materials as well as one-on-one budget and credit counseling.
Click here to see our Summer quarter HBE workshops. For more information, please call the OSU Extension, Franklin County Community Development office at 614-297-3861.